Summer Art Institute
The Summer Art Institute (SAI) at Women’s Studio Workshop is a time for you to focus on your work, become energized and inspired, learn new skills, and meet a new community of like-minded artists. Your instructors are leaders in their fields, have extraordinary skill and a passion to share their knowledge of materials and methods. Our goal is to offer you an opportunity to hone your abilities and have a transformative art experience.
We are happy to announce that we are planning a full Summer Art Institute program for summer 2022 which will include both onsite and virtual courses. While no one knows what the landscape of COVID will look like this summer, Women’s Studio Workshop’s spacious and rural campus is well equipped to offer onsite courses with appropriate social distancing and best health practices. Here are a few of the precautions we plan to implement:
- Face coverings required in all indoor and outdoor spaces
- Handwashing and sanitizing stations upon entry and in every studio and bathroom
- Limited class sizes and workspace adjustment for social distancing
- Utilization of our spacious campus and updated outdoor spaces
- Updated protocol for shared mealtimes (see below)
Women’s Studio Workshop has adopted protocols and procedures for our shared spaces in accordance with the guidelines of the Center of Disease Control (CDC) and other local health departments and government authorities. All members of our onsite community will be notified immediately of any changes.
Updated Meal Protocols:
This summer we will be providing vegetarian lunches and dinner cooked on-site by our Chef-in-Residence, Serena Hocahroen, with the addition of stringent meal-prep safety and COVID mitigation procedures. Meals are not included in the cost of tuition. You may purchase a meal plan for $120, otherwise we ask that you bring your own food. Meals include five locally-sourced, homemade vegetarian lunches, and one dinner with wine. We are opening up new seating areas, including on our new bluestone patio, to allow for appropriate distancing while eating.
Additional COVID food safety procedures:
- Meals will be prepared with the utmost care and attention to sanitization, and PPE.
- Meals will be pre-plated and served in the meal-line for students and faculty by WSW staff to minimize the amount of contact with serving utensils and food.
- Sanitation stations will be placed in meal areas and at the start of meal lines.
- Participants will be served lunch based on tapered meal-times in order to maintain social distancing during meal service.
What to Expect:
On Monday, participants can check in as early as 8:30 am and classes start each day at 9 am. We break for lunch around 12:30 pm and return to the studios until class ends at 4 pm. Participants are welcome to work before and after class during open studio hours, 7 am – 11 pm. Classes and open studio hours end at 3 pm on Friday.
Each Monday, WSW hosts a dinner on-site at 6:30 pm, followed by artist presentations from each instructor at 7 pm. This is a great way to hear about your instructor’s work and learn about what’s happening in the other workshops running that week.
WSW does not discriminate on any basis for our educational programming or membership. Participants with accommodation needs are encouraged to contact WSW in advance so we can ensure adequate access to our studios and equipment. You can reach our office by emailing [email protected] or calling 845-658-9133.
Tuition and Fees:
WSW is offering a sliding tuition model for the Summer Art Institute. We recognize that COVID-19 has had a devastating impact on particular communities all over the world and we are committed to creating opportunity regardless of financial capacity.
If you are in a position to pay full tuition or more, we request that you do so. If you are not in a position to pay full tuition we do not want that to prohibit you from joining our community.
The pay-as-you-can model is not based on tax returns or documentation, rather your self-determined capacity to pay.
Lab fees cover the cost of provided materials for each class in addition to rags, newsprint, solvents, and cleaning agents. These fees vary according to the needs of each instructor and the cost of special materials for the course content.
Registration and Cancellation:
Upon registration, $150 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your space. Any remaining tuition and lab fee payment is due one month prior to the start of the workshop. If you register within one month of the class start date, we ask that you pay in full at the time of registration. If your full balance is not received one month prior to your workshop, you may lose your spot in the class.
- If you cancel 30 days or more prior to the class start date, then tuition and lab fee will be returned, minus the non-refundable $150 deposit. This accounts for a $100 cancellation fee and a $50 processing fee.
- If you cancel within 30 days of your workshop there is no refund. However if you test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of the start of your workshop please contact our office at (845) 658-9133.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing either via email to [email protected] or mail. Please do not call to cancel your workshop registration.
If WSW has to cancel a workshop for any reason, your deposit and tuition will be refunded in full, or can be transferred to another workshop. Workshops need a minimum of four participants to run. Participants will be given four weeks notice if a class has been cancelled due to under-enrollment. WSW is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or housing costs.
Accommodation and Transportation:
WSW cannot provide housing for class participants. There are, however, plenty of options in the surrounding area. You’ll receive our curated housing list as an attachment to your Registration Confirmation email. This list includes Airbnb locations, Bed & Breakfasts, motels/hotels, and rooms in private homes. Rates begin at $50/night, and many are within walking distance of our studios. For guidance, please contact us at [email protected] or (845) 658-9133.
All workshops have limited enrollment; early registration is recommended! Once a class is full, we begin a waitlist. If a space becomes available, we contact those on the waitlist in the order that registration was received
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call us at (845) 658-9133 or send an email. We’ll be happy to help you determine which workshop best suits your needs.