Parent Residency Grant
The Parent Grant is a four-week residency for an artist with at least one dependent child under the age of 18. Artists may choose to work in any of our studio disciplines: intaglio, letterpress, papermaking, screenprinting, photography, or ceramics.
This grant includes a $1450 childcare stipend, up to $250 for travel costs, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access. WSW can also provide technical advice and production assistance.
The $1450 childcare stipend can be used at the artist’s discretion, though a childcare plan must be submitted with the application. Possible childcare scenarios include:
- Bringing a caregiver or co-parent (must be 18+) to stay at WSW for the residency period
- Finding a childcare facility near WSW
- Locating individuals near WSW who can provide childcare
- Paying for childcare at your family’s home base
If you plan to bring your child/children and are in need of childcare, WSW recommends using care.com to locate area providers. WSW cannot assist applicants in finding childcare options.
If your child/children are coming with you, WSW can provide a two-bedroom apartment (with one single bed, one double, and one single pull-out couch) that has a bathroom and an open kitchen/living area. The maximum occupancy is four. Please note that, for safety reasons and to maintain a focused working environment, children cannot be in the studios where artists are working.
Application open: June 1
Application due: October 15, midnight EST
Notification date: December 15
Residency length: 4 weeks
Residency occurs: the year following application, September – June
-Application must include:
- A current resume
- A childcare plan, detailing your use of the $1450 stipend
- A description of the project, including the studio you’d like to work in (no more than 200 words)
- Up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here)
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image