Parent Residency Grant
The Parent Grant is a four-week residency for an artist with at least one dependent child under the age of 18. Artists may choose to work in any of our studio disciplines: intaglio, letterpress, papermaking, screenprinting, photography, or ceramics.
This grant includes a $1450 unrestricted stipend that can be used for childcare or other costs at the artist’s discretion, up to $250 for travel costs, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access. WSW can also provide technical advice and production assistance.
Possible childcare scenarios include:
- Bringing a caregiver or co-parent (must be 18+) to stay at WSW for the residency period
- Finding a childcare facility near WSW
- Locating individuals near WSW who can provide childcare
- Paying for childcare at your family’s home base
If you plan to bring your child/children and are in need of childcare, WSW recommends using Ulster County Child Care Connections or care.com to locate area providers. WSW cannot assist applicants in finding childcare options.
If your child/children are coming with you, WSW can provide a two-bedroom apartment (with one single bed, one double, and one single pull-out couch) that has a bathroom and an open kitchen/living area. The maximum occupancy is four. Please note that, for safety reasons and to maintain a focused working environment, children cannot be in the studios where artists are working, and must be supervised by an adult at all times.
Application open: February 15
Application due: May 15
Notification date: March 15
Residency length: July
Residency occurs: the year following application, September – June
Application must include:
- A current resume
- A brief description of your proposed project, including the studio(s) you’d like to use. 300 word maximum.
- Up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here)
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image