Art-in-Ed Artist’s Book Residency Grant
The Art-in-Education Artist’s Book Grant is an eight- to ten-week residency awarded to two emerging artists to create a new artist’s book and teach young people.
Our Art-in-Education (AIE) program is a model for arts education and operates in conjunction with the Kingston City School District. AIE provides a high quality arts experience by bringing students to a professional artist’s workspace and giving them concentrated time to learn printmaking, papermaking, and book arts.
Generally, the resident dedicates her first month to producing a limited edition artist’s book, which is hand-printed and bound in the studio. WSW can provide technical advice; training on new equipment, techniques, and materials; and production assistance. (You can read more about the artist’s book aspect here.)
During the second half of the residency, the artist works with young people in WSW’s studios, teaching one to two days/week for three to four weeks, and visiting the students twice in school. Studio space and equipment is reserved for students during program hours, but artists may work at any time outside of AIE.
This grant includes a stipend of $350/week for up to ten weeks, up to $750 for materials, up to $250 for travel within the Continental US, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access during non-AIE sessions.
This residency has a two-step jury process: artists submit their materials, then WSW applies to the appropriate funders.
The residency in a nutshell:
Postmark deadline*: November 15
Notification date: via email by March 1
Residency length: 8-10 weeks
Residency occurs: the school year following application, October–December or January–April
Application must include:
- The application form
- A complete resume
- A materials budget
- A one-page project description, including the media and studio needed (no more than 200 words
- If using original text, please include a representative writing sample
- A one-page description of your relevant experience working with young people
- A CD or flash drive with up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here). WSW reserves the right not to review applications that are not formatted properly.
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image
- A structural dummy to demonstrate how the book will be bound or function when handled. (This does not have to be a complete representation of the finished piece. Please do, however, include 1-2 fully realized spreads. Your dummy should represent the book’s actual size. We do, of course, anticipate that you will refine your ideas before the residency begins.)
Applicants who don’t want to be notified by email can include a self-addressed, stamped envelope
- Please note: application materials will not be returned unless requested. In this case, adequate postage and packaging material must be included with the application.
*All applications must be physically mailed and postmarked by November 15.
Please send to:
Art-in-Ed Artist’s Book Application
Women’s Studio Workshop
PO Box 489
Rosendale, NY 12472