Art-in-Ed Artist’s Book Residency Grant
The Art-in-Education Artist’s Book Grant is a residency awarded to two artists to create a new artist’s book and teach young people in WSW’s studios.
Our Art-in-Education program (AIE) is a model for arts education and operates in conjunction with the Kingston City School District. AIE provides a high quality arts experience by bringing students to a professional artist’s workspace and giving them concentrated time to learn printmaking, papermaking, and book arts.
Generally, the resident dedicates their first month to producing a limited edition artist’s book, which is hand-printed and bound in the studio. WSW can provide technical advice; training on new equipment, techniques, and materials; and production assistance. (You can read more about the artist’s book aspect here.)
During the second half of the residency, the artist works with young people in WSW’s studios, teaching one to two days/week for three to four weeks, and visiting the students twice in school. Studio space and equipment is reserved for students during program hours, but artists may work at any time outside of AIE.
This grant includes a stipend of $350/week for up to ten weeks, up to $750 for materials, up to $250 for travel within the Continental US, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access during non-AIE sessions.
This residency has a two-step jury process: artists submit their materials, then WSW applies to the appropriate funders.
Postmark deadline*: November 15
Notification date: March 1
Residency length: 8-10 weeks
Residency occurs: the school year following application, October–December or January–April
*All application materials must be physically mailed and postmarked by November 15.
Application must include:
- 3 hard copies of the application form
- 3 hard copies of your resume
- 3 hard copies of the materials budget form
- 3 hard copies of your project description (200-word max), including the media required
- 3 hard copies of a description of your experience working with students (200-word max)
- Up to 10 images uploaded to WSW’s Submittable portal. WSW reserves the right not to review applications that are not formatted properly.
- 3 hard copies of an image script with title, medium, dimension, and date for each image
- 1 physical, structural dummy of your proposed book to demonstrate how it will be bound or function when handled. This mock-up does not have to be a finished piece, but it should represent the book’s actual size and include at least 1-2 fully realized spreads.
Please mail to:
Art-in-Ed Artist’s Book Application
Women’s Studio Workshop
PO Box 489
Rosendale, NY 12472