You’ll perform independent work in the kitchen and work with the Studio Manager on all ArtFarm-related projects. This two-month internship runs through our Summer Art Institute (SAI) workshops. You’ll focus on honing culinary skills and agricultural knowledge as it relates to non-traditional papermaking fibers. Your work will directly contribute to WSW’s community by bringing staff and SAI participants together over a midday meal.
- Planning weekly, rotating menus for staff and SAI students (an absolute cap of 45 people/day)
- Preparing mostly vegetarian lunches and accommodating allergies and special diets like vegan and gluten-free
- Grocery shopping: visiting supermarkets and weekend farmer’s markets to stock up on ingredients
- Maintaining and harvesting papermaking fibers, vegetables, and herbs at ArtFarm
- Cleaning and general maintenance on ArtFarm and of WSW’s kitchen facilities
- Previous cooking experience
- Ability to work independently (Recipes and guidance can be provided by WSW staff, but you are expected to be comfortable working alone in the kitchen.)
- A car
Please note that preference may be given to applicants with an interest in our studio disciplines. The internship doesn’t require studio work, but interns do have full access to the facilities in their off-time.
All internships include a private room in WSW’s on-campus Anne Atwood House and a stipend of $400/month. Interns work 40 hours/week, generally Monday through Friday, 9:00-5:00, but the schedule may change to accommodate the Workshop’s programming. Outside working hours, and with respect to residents’ work, interns have unlimited studio access. Though the summer intern leaves before our group exhibition, she is still welcome to include her work in the show.
Applications open: June 1
Applications due: December 1, midnight EST
Notification date: February 1
Length of internship: 2 months
Internship occurs: the year following application, July – August
Application must include:
- A complete resume
- Three current letters of reference
- A cover letter
- A sample menu for one week of lunches
- Up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here)
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image