We are not currently accepting applications for this opportunity.
Right Now! Production Grants are opportunities for artists to produce a publication that is reflective of current events and can be generated and disseminated quickly. WSW seeks projects of broad scope, from zines and chapbooks to button sets, poster prints, and other imaginative ephemera. Means of production may include silkscreen, letterpress, photocopy, risograph, other types of digital printing, and more.
Each artist will receive $250 per week for each week of production, and all printing and binding expenses will be covered by WSW. The production schedule, length, and contract terms will be agreed upon between WSW and the artist. Individual project details will dictate the contract terms. For instance, one artist’s project may require four weeks of production from digital pre-prep to binding, while another may only require two. Upon receipt of the award, artists will immediately set project goals, budget, and calendar with WSW’s Artistic Director.
Artists can work remotely and/or in residency with WSW staff. All physical production including ordering of supplies, printing, binding, etc. will be completed by the WSW studio staff with the artist’s creative direction. For virtual residencies, production meetings will be scheduled via video conference. An outside panel consisting of three artists, organizers, curators, and/or librarians will select the grant recipients.
Previous publications include:
Details will vary by the scale and scope of each project. For example, a publishing agreement may include:
- WSW will pay all costs associated with production, including a stipend of $350 per week to the artist
- 20% of the final edition will be retained by WSW
- 20% of the final edition will be given to the artist
- 60% of the final edition will go into general sales and distribution
- List price for each artist’s publication will be set by WSW
These artist’s publications are part of WSW’s artist’s book publishing imprint, and will be featured on WSW’s website and bookstore, and within our artist’s book catalog. WSW’s artists’ books are held in over 450 collections world-wide, and in nine repositories that have the majority of our collection: Indiana University (Bloomington), Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Delaware, Vassar College, Virginia Commonwealth University, Yale University, University of Michigan, The Library of Congress, and Bucknell University.
Applications open: December 15, 2021
Applications due: February 15, 2022, 11:59pm EST
Notification date: last week of March 2022
Remote production length: 2-4 weeks
Production occurs: April, May, June 2022
- Link to your website, Instagram, or other portfolio site
- Written project description (300 words or less) and/or audio or video project description (4 minutes or less)
- Any other supplemental materials that you feel may strengthen your application *optional*